Humana has dedicated itself to making business decisions that improve the health and well-being of members, employees, the communities it serves, and the planet. For employees, there’s a tour that has stopped in Humana work locations around the country. The Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Roadshow shows employees how they can incorporate social responsibility into their everyday jobs and support Humana’s Healthy People, Healthy Planet and Healthy Performance CSR efforts.
CSR has a positive impact on the community as well as the business. “Having a purpose” helps companies achieve approximately 10 percent more growth than companies that don’t.
Humana’s employees contribute to its CSR efforts in a multitude of ways. Small daily decisions such as taking a walk break or turning off computer monitors when leaving the office can have a big impact.
During the tour to Cincinnati, Ohio; Green Bay, Wisconsin; New Orleans, Louisiana; Phoenix, Arizona; San Antonio, Texas; and Tampa Bay and Miami, Florida, employees were also able to do something good for their health and the health of the local community – pushups*. By learning more about Humana’s Healthy People efforts and completing a few easy exercises, employees funded $17,500 in local food bank donations. Each exercise earned $1 (up to a $2,500) to fight local food insecurity in Humana communities.
The competition among locations has been healthy, too:
- Cincinnati employees completed 2,522 exercises funding a $2,500 donation the Shared Harvest Food Bank.
- Miami employees completed 2,540 exercises funding a $2,500 donation to Feeding South Florida.
- Employees in Green Bay completed 2,618 exercises funding a $2,500 donation to Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin.
- Tampa employees completed 2,640 exercises to fund a $2,500 donation to Feeding Tampa Bay
- New Orleans employees completed 4,135 pushups, which funded a $2,500 donation to Second Harvest Food Bank.
- In Phoenix, employees did 7,059 pushups over two days, funding a $2,500 donation to St. Vincent de Paul Food Bank.
- In San Antonio, employees completed a staggering 10,950 exercises, funding a $2,500 donation to San Antonio Food Bank.
The CSR tour will wrap-up in Louisville on December 13 and 14. Local employees will be exercising to fund a donation to Dare to Care Food Bank.
Learn more about Humana’s corporate social responsibility efforts.
*Traditional pushups, modified pushups, exercise band reps, and squats – whatever got employees moving counted.