Humana’s workplace well-being efforts top national rankingHumana has earned Gold status in the American Heart Association’s Workplace Health Achievement Index, placing the company’s comprehensive workplace health efforts among the best in the nation. The index scores companies in seven areas: leadership, engagement, programs, policies and environment, partnerships, communications, and reporting outcomes.
Humana focuses on whole-person well-being, aiming to improve every employee’s sense of purpose, health, belonging and security to build a thriving workforce over the long term. The company has seen positive trends, including:
- Healthier Days: Humana’s employee population has seen an improvement in mental and physical health as measured by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) Healthy Days. The number of unhealthy days in a given 30-day period went from 5.6 in 2014 to 5.2 in 2016.
- Declining risk: Employees with Humana since 2012 have fewer health risks on average than three years ago, with 7 out of 10 people either sustaining or improving their health risk profile. The percentage of employees who had elevated blood pressure declined by 33 percent from 2012 to 2016.
- Stress: Reported levels of elevated stress declined approximately 10 percent from 2015 to 2016, indicating increased resiliency in the employee population.
- Engagement: Humana has seen world-class employee engagement levels — in the top 10th percentile globally — for the past five years. Each of those years, a top driver most correlated with engagement has been the company’s commitment to employees’ well-being.
- Leader commitment: Approximately 9 out of 10 employees say Humana is committed to creating a work environment that contributes to their health and well-being.
The Workplace Health Achievement Index is a product of AHA’s CEO Roundtable, which includes Humana President and CEO Bruce Broussard. The Roundtable is dedicated to gathering and sharing the best evidence-based approaches to workplace health to improve the well-being of our nation’s companies, their employees and communities.
Read the full news release here.